Per the nurse's instructions, we needed to take his rectal temperature...a first for us and since I was the one on the phone and holding him, I made that Brian's job. The thermometer read slightly warmer than the original temperature. It was 100.8. Since it was over 100.4, he needed to be seen immediately (standard for newborns). She said it couldn't wait for the pediatrician's office in the morning. Her urgency made me feel guilty for brushing it off all day and it also put some fear in me. We're pretty lucky that I have such amazing coworkers turned friends. Deb quickly came over to bail us out with watching Nolan and Parker. Like a fool (because I should have learned my lesson after Parker's hospital stay), I didn't bring my pump with me.
When we arrived at Cardinal Glennon they took him in right away. His temperature had gone down slightly by their reading. He really had no other symptoms besides the stuffy nose and temperature...he'd been eating well (had actually gained an entire pound since his 1 week appt Thursday), peeing/pooping well, and sleeping like a rockstar (only waking twice/night)! The doctors agreed those were all excellent signs, but they worry when any babies that young get a fever like that. With that said, they broke the news that they needed to take all precautions because the rewards far outweigh any risks. With that said, Brian and I both broke down a bit. When they told us what that entailed (blood work, catheter for urine sample, and spinal tap) we broke down even more. We asked several questions to several of the doctors and nurses. We felt bad not just taking them on their word, but this was our little guy...we couldn't bare the thought of him having a spinal tap. I left the room while they did the blood work and IV. It ended up taking over an hour while I stood outside the door and listened to my baby cry SO.HARD. I couldn't contain my tears either. They had another nurse come in to attempt because the first one said she didn't feel comfortable trying anymore. Right before that point, I went in and told Brian that I was not okay with any of this. I was ready to pack up and leave...besides, his temp was coming back down. The doctor re-explained how crucial it was to have the full work up in the instance that it would turn up to be a bacterial infection..which could be critical. I left the room again and let them attempt to get a good IV going. This nurse was successful.
The doctor and nurses then came back in to explain all of the procedures for a spinal tap and prep the room. We were then taken to the waiting room for the 20-30 minute procedure...my first time to leave him alone with someone other than Brian. My heart sank and my mind felt so heavy. Feeling helpless while your child endures such things has to be one of the worst feelings in the world. I would have gladly taken his place if I could. It seemed so unfair. While in the ER waiting room I saw this:
It brought so much comfort to me that I reread it several times. The tiny waiting room was so cold and the time seemed to crawl by. Finally the doctor came back and told us the procedure went well and they were able to get enough spinal fluid. They were ready to admit us. That took a little while in itself and by the time we were taken to our room it was 2:00 a.m., but then the floor nurses had several things they needed to do and as for me not bringing a pump along? I was in dire need of one and was finally able to have access to one! It was 3:30 in the morning before we were even able to lay down. Brian was getting up at 5 to go back home to get the boys where they needed to be and get a bag packed for us. The boys spent the night at our neighbors once we realized we were being admitted. There was also horrible storms that night, so I worried about how Parker and Nolan would sleep. I got my answer when Brian called at 5:45 and said Nolan saw him pull in the drive. I don't think he slept hardly at all. Storms are basically the only time he's allowed to sleep in our room because he has a very hard time with them.
We ended up staying in the hospital until late Wednesday. They had to watch his cultures for 48 hours to make sure nothing was growing. By that point, he'd had 2 1/2 days worth of antibiotics because they go ahead and treat for bacterial infection at that age to stay ahead of the infection. Luckily, he ended up not having a bacterial infection, but tested positive for enterovirus...the same virus that had been (and still continues to be) seen on the news for it's unusually high rate in kids this year. Many children on the floor we were admitted to were testing positive for it and several were moved into ICU (mostly asthmatics).
While I hate that I had another infant hospitalized, I am so thankful for Cardinal Glennon being so close and the awesome staff there. I am also very grateful that both of my hospitalized infants weren't there for very long and are healthy, growing, thriving boys. I do not know how parents that have to face more do. I cannot even fathom the strength they carry. It's a great reminder to hold and snuggle our little ones tight and to thank God for letting us raise them. I pray "for His loving care the most of all."
No comments:
Post a Comment